About Me

My photo
I am a Christian woman who loves her family and tries to live with a purpose. "I can do all things though Christ who strengthens me" Philippians 4:13

Translate

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Pumpkins or Hens

A funny thing happened when I went for pie pumpkins and feed; I came home with seven hens.  This seems to happen to me.  A few weeks ago I left the house to run to the store for canning supplies; between the car and the front porch I inherited seven rabbits.  I often wonder what my husband thinks when I tell him, "I'm going to get... "

One day we were doing yard work when an older gentleman rode up on his lawnmower.  He very politely introduced himself and told us of his plight.  Seems he had a rooster, hen and a few biddies.  Well the problem with the situation was the rooster.  His neighbor lived in close proximity and did not enjoy the crowing rooster in the wee hours of the morning.

He had ridden past our home a few times and noticed our chickens.  So he thought he'd ask if we would like to add to our flock.  We happily accepted and thanked him for his generosity.  So, more hens.  Oh and the reason he came by on the lawnmower, he had eye surgery that didn't work as well as he had wished.  So with eyesight not well enough to drive, he rode his lawnmower to the little store just past our house.  All in all we feel very blessed and are grateful the good Lord continues to bless us.

The hens may have stopped laying, so we have sectioned them off and we will watch and wait.  Should it prove true they are not laying any longer we will have chicken soup, stewed chicken and dumplings or even chicken pot pie.  I love fresh homemade chicken pot pie and the grandchildren do as well.  The taste is much better than store bought and far less sodium.

So when we set out on one journey, we have to be open for the surprises that cross our paths.

Chicken Pot Pie

4  9" pie crusts
1 to 1 1/2 lbs. of cooked chicken breast
Peas and Carrots
Chicken gravy

Roll out  9" pie crust, placing 1 each into 2 pie plates.  Fill the bottom crust with chicken, peas, carrots and then a cup of gravy per pie shell.  Place 1 each pie crust on top of each pie plates.  Bake at 425 degrees for approximately 1 hour.  Let stand for 5 minutes and then cut into 8 pieces.

Have a great and blessed day.

No comments:

Post a Comment