About Me

My photo
I am a Christian woman who loves her family and tries to live with a purpose. "I can do all things though Christ who strengthens me" Philippians 4:13

Translate

Thursday, October 3, 2013

To Grind or Not To Grind

To grind or not to grind that is the question?  We do, but....  Before you start there is a lot to learn.  What wheat to use for what you're baking and do I need to use dough enhancers?  Which grinder do I use?  Should I use hand powered or electric?  Where do I get the wheat berries?  Should I grind corn for meal as well?  All good questions but don't let them discourage you.

Did you know that when you grind your own wheat, you have to use it within twenty-four hours?  This will give you the most nutritional benefit.  So the next question is how little nutritional value does store bought flour have or how many preservatives does it have to give it the shelf life?

A book I like  to use is "RECIPES from the OLD MILL BAKING with WHOLE GRAINS" Sarah E Myers and Mary Beth Lind.  However there is a lot of good information on the internet and I would also suggest to check your local library and county extension office.  Also just ask around, I think you'll be surprised to find family and friends may be doing some of this themselves.

There are also a number of websites to purchase large quantities of wheat berries.  I would suggest before you get and open a super pail of wheat, look for a local store that might sell 1 lb. bags of wheat.  I purchased the super pails and continue to do so, but first I bought a couple of 1 lb. bags.  Two reason for this, first I needed to work the burrs in the grinder and there is a chance of small metal splinters during the first couple of grinds (check the manufacturers instructions) and second I needed to play with the grinder.  See just how it worked and how to set the burrs for ease and the grind I needed.

Websites to order bulk wheat (I suggest you order in pails instead of bags, this will alleviate the problem of what to do after you open a 50 lb. bag.)

honeyville.com                    (go to the bottom of the page and look for shop now)
beprepared.com                   (in the remark section of the checkout you can ask for plain boxes
                                               without the company advertising)
augasonfarms.com               (they take a little longer but good product)

Living a homesteading life takes a lot of time.  Rarely will you have time to say you're bored but it is an enjoyable lifestyle.  Soon you will see how good you feel caring for yourself and family.

Have a great and blessed day.

No comments:

Post a Comment