About Me

My photo
I am a Christian woman who loves her family and tries to live with a purpose. "I can do all things though Christ who strengthens me" Philippians 4:13

Translate

Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Share Your Knowledge

Today the meter reader came by.  He had to knock on the door for access to the back, which gave us a chance to talk.  He had noticed the animals on previous visits and started asking questions.  He was curious has to why we were living a homesteading life.  So we shared.  We talked about having meat that was antibiotic free.  We explained we had both animals and veggies without growth hormones.  We also explained that for us to get a chicken from chick to laying takes five months and commercially to get a chick to your table takes 8-10 weeks.  So this is why we do this.

He shared how he had always wanted to have chickens but lived inside the city limits and thought he would have to wait.  We told him to check with the city as many cities are now allowing hens only inside the limits.  There might be a limit of five but still you have five hens. 

I also heard the news on this morning the fact the average age of people who know how to make things with their hands is fifty-eight years old.  Within the next few years many of these folks will be retiring.  I shudder to think what life will be like as these folks shuffle off this mortal coil.  What will life be like for those who need a tradesman? 

The idea that you aren't of worth unless you have a college degree will be the downfall of our trade occupations.  One of the sorriest things the education system ever did, was to remove shop classes from the curriculum.  I know I will be dating myself but that's ok.  When I was in high school boys were offered auto-mechanics, metal shop, woodshop or possibly electronics.  Girls were offered sewing and cooking class (also they were eventually offered some of the shop classes.)  Where are our children going to learn these skills? 

Whatever talent you were given, share it.  Our children (small and older) need to know how to care for themselves.  Sharing knowledge is always good and spending time with anyone is good for the soul.  What's the worst that will happen?   

Have a great and blessed day.

2 comments:

  1. I thoroughly enjoy sharing skill knowledge that has been given to me. There is, i believe a re-awakening happening. A generation of peoples who want to know how to take care of themselves without it all revolving around cash, and how much cash you have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right, I'm beginning to see the same thing.

      Delete