About Me

My photo
I am a Christian woman who loves her family and tries to live with a purpose. "I can do all things though Christ who strengthens me" Philippians 4:13

Translate

Friday, November 15, 2013

What Will Your Holiday Plans Be?

We have chosen, for many years now, to make homemade gifts for Christmas.  I'm not saying there aren't any store bought gifts, just not as many.  Some of this has been done because of economics and some because, as a family, we decided to share the true meaning of Christmas with the younger members of our family. 

It's funny how even if you know what you're getting you still have the same childlike excitement.  My sister-in-law knits socks for everyone in the family.  Now it takes her all year long to this.  We all know that's what we will be receiving from her but we can't wait to receive our socks.  What color will they be or what pattern this year?  I don't know why, we just can't wait, even the children. 

Children have the same excitement with homemade gifts as they do with store bought.  Sometimes I think even more.  I say this because, think of the many times you gave your child, niece, nephew or other child in your life the newest whatever.  How long did it take to lose interest in it?  I also dare to say they may have had more fun with the box the newest whatever came in.  I'm not saying we need to give up completely on store bought gifts.  I'm just saying that maybe just maybe they don't need all they get. 

All the Christmas commercials are filling the airways with ideas of things you didn't know you needed, but do.  I wonder how folks celebrated the birth of Jesus before commercials?  I wonder if they felt cheated not knowing of all the things they didn't have?  Could it be the real meaning of Christ Mass was understood?  Could it be everyone understood the true meaning of the celebration?

With the holidays quickly coming upon us, you may be making your plans; think of those without.  Without friends, family, means or purpose.  Maybe your plans could include someone you know who will be alone, a gift for a child who does without all year, a hand for someone who has no one else.  These gifts will be the ones you make memories with, you teach with, you hold close to your heart.

Of all the things we do on the homestead, the most important is to give of ourselves.  "No man is an island", don't try to be.

Have a great and blessed day.

No comments:

Post a Comment