About Me

My photo
I am a Christian woman who loves her family and tries to live with a purpose. "I can do all things though Christ who strengthens me" Philippians 4:13

Translate

Friday, November 8, 2013

Experiment Not A Failure!

My experiment with pallet gardening is coming along.  What I am finding though is it seems to need a bit more nitrogen.  I noticed no matter how much I watered, the garden seems to do much better when it rains.  So I'm thinking though slow going, this was a good lesson and will continue to pallet garden.  The pluses are very little to no weeding (as long as you put lawn fabric down first.)  The down side (and not really a down side), the garden will need more fertilizer.  I'm very happy to find this experiment was not a failure. 

Trying to give the animals more land is causing us to find more ways to grow.  So there will be a lot of container, raised beds, pallet and upward gardening.  Though I'm very happy to increase the animals, so there will be less and less meat being bought, I am not willing to give up gardening.  Where there is a will there is a way. 

Don't be afraid to try new ideas, even if the experiment fails you are still learning.  Just as Thomas Edison said when asked he didn't fail, he found 999 ways not to make a light bulb.  Homesteading is all about finding what works for you and how to make it work with what you have.  Even if you had all the land in the world, you would only be able to work so much of it.  You would still have to make the most of what you could work.

I will also be moving water barrels closer to these gardens.  Go out, experiment and learn.  Life is not about sitting back and just plodding along.

Have a great and blessed day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment