About Me

My photo
I am a Christian woman who loves her family and tries to live with a purpose. "I can do all things though Christ who strengthens me" Philippians 4:13

Translate

Monday, July 18, 2016

HOMEMADE EXTRACT

I started making Vanilla extract a few months ago.  While I was straining and rebottling my homemade Vanilla extract I had the idea to make other extracts since they are somewhat expensive.  I went online and found a few recipes.  I found recipes for Orange, Lemon, Cinnamon, Peppermint, Coconut and Chocolate extracts.
All but the Cinnamon recipe called for Vodka although one site said they made Vanilla with Rum and another Bourbon.  The Cinnamon recipe called for Brandy.  So I made a trip to town and bought vodka, brandy, oranges, lemons and cinnamon sticks.  I have the peppermint growing in the garden.  I have to thank my mother-in-law for the peppermint.  She cut a few sprigs of peppermint and told me just plant it.  It's growing like wild fire.  I wish I had her green thumb.  I've seen her plant a stick and grow a tree.  Before I get too far off topic I also had the cocoa powder here.


All the recipes say to shake the mixtures a couple times a week and keep the jars in a cool dark place for  six to eight weeks, then strain. That's what I did with the vanilla extract as well.  I'm going to make each of the extracts in pint jars and I'm going to make extras so I can hand them out for Christmas gifts. 

So here are some of the recipes I've found online:

 "The Preppers Blueprint"
http://readynutrition.com/resources/8-recipes-for-making-homemade-extracts_22012014/

"Just Putzing Around the Kitchen"
 http://www.justputzing.com/2013/12/diy-flavored-extracts.html

There are many others but these are the ones I'm going to try.  Although at least one of these sites tell you to use high quality vodka, I've been told by folks who already make extracts they use the cheapest vodka they can find.  That's what I did when I made the vanilla extract.  So it's your call how you want to go.  Cheap or high end it will still be an extract when you're finished.

As always have a safe and Blessed day.  Remember to share your knowledge.

2 comments:

  1. I've missed your blog posts - glad to see you back posting! Let me know how the vanilla extract goes, I've been wanting to try my hand at making some.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So far it looks and smells like vanilla extract. I'll be baking in the next day or two and will let you know.

    ReplyDelete