About Me

My photo
I am a Christian woman who loves her family and tries to live with a purpose. "I can do all things though Christ who strengthens me" Philippians 4:13

Translate

Friday, September 27, 2013

Learn, Teach

Starting out on this journey we didn't know a lot about a lot.  Sure I had gardens in the past, but chickens then goats then turkeys, rabbits, ducks oh my.  Did I let that stand in my way, nooooo.  I just didn't know enough to know to be scared.  So we just jumped in, both feet, yes we did.  Learning something new everyday; we still are (that's the best part.) 

Fortunately we have good friends who knew much about animals.  Then we read and read and read more.  Looked on the internet for anything else we wanted to do or make.  Let our own imagination go a little wild with ideas and then it happened.  One day we noticed we were homesteading and helping others.  More and more folks are looking to simplify their lives and learn skills that have been lost.  People are rediscovering the ability to care for themselves and not too soon. 

Our parents and grandparents are leaving us at staggering rates along with their skills.  The fear I have most is, if we continue to push everyone into an office or similar field no one will know how to care for themselves.  Before you all post comments, I know we aren't there, but ask yourselves, can you see that happening some day?  Should you answer yes, then get out there and learn then teach.

So I thought I would share a few books we started with:
 
Reader's Digest; BACK TO BASICS
HOMESTEADING
SELF-SUFFICIENCY 
(the second and third books are almost word for word so either one them would be good)
Storey's Basic Country Skills
Storey's Raising Dairy Goats

Have a great and blessed day.

No comments:

Post a Comment