About Me

My photo
I am a Christian woman who loves her family and tries to live with a purpose. "I can do all things though Christ who strengthens me" Philippians 4:13

Translate

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Apples are Here

So the apples are here today and the work begins.  We have a bushel each of Jonathans, Honey Crisp, Golden Delicious and half a bushel of Gala.  I love this time of the year.  The house has such a sweet aroma from apples.



I start with a combination of Jonathans, Honey Crisp and Golden Delicious.  This way I have a sweet, a tart and who can go wrong with a Honey Crisp (firm but juicy) apple.  I find this combination makes awesome applesauce without adding sugar.  Then I follow the instructions from the "Ball Blue Book of Canning and Preserving".  I want to tell you, this is awesome in a jar.  I'm going to use Jonathans to make apple pie filling to can but when Jonathans (which are a good baking apple) aren't available the old standard of Granny Smiths works well.  My favorite green apple is not available until later in the fall, so then I will use a different selection of apple to can more.  Going to make apple butter as well but not sure what combination I will use, still working on that.

I was hoping to make apple juice this year but not sure if I'll be able.  Every year I'm trying to add to the list of items I can, but this year instead of canning for two, I'm canning for eight.  That's something else you'll have to figure out.  Just how much you'll need for your family.  For instance, I canned 108 quarts of Pasta sauce this past spring and summer.  I'm now finding out I may not have enough, so will have to find something else to can to supplement the pantry. 

Not to let anything go to waste, we throw the peels to our chickens.  I give all my scraps from canning to the chickens; scraps helps lower our feed bill and it's good for them so why not.  You could also use the peels and other scraps in your compost.  Whichever you do, you're not wasting and that's good.

Canning gives us a chance to preserve the season's harvest.  To enjoy the memories of all who help and to fill our bellies and hearts.  Most of all, it gives peace of mind, I know however high the prices in the grocery store go, my family will eat well, healthy. 

So in the cold winter months, summer laughter comes back when we open jars of corn.  When a jar of peaches are open the memory of giggles will come running back of children trying to sneak a slice.  When we open a jar of anything, we open a jar of love and happiness.

Have a great and blessed day.

No comments:

Post a Comment