About Me

My photo
I am a Christian woman who loves her family and tries to live with a purpose. "I can do all things though Christ who strengthens me" Philippians 4:13

Translate

Sunday, September 27, 2015

MAKE IT YOURSELF

Living in a small home you find sometimes standard size throw rugs don't fit the spaces you have.  Usually they're larger than you need.  Of course you could always buy the large one and cut it.  But I can't cut a straight line and I don't like spending money on things I'm going to throw away.  There's also the possibility if you cut it, it's going to unravel and well... 

But I needed (well really wanted) a throw, so what to do. I went to my stash of yarn and chose the colors I needed.  I used a variegated and solid 100% Acrylic worsted weight yarn.  With a crochet hook (K/10 1/2-6.50MM) I crocheted two skeins of yard at a time.  Using a single crochet I made the basic size I needed for my throw, remembering to leave space for a single skein border.  I chose to give the throw an inch and an half border also single crochet.  You could put any kind of border you want.  I'm not giving dimension's because you can make it any size you want.  If you are placing the throw on another rug or carpet you won't need to do anything else because it won't slip or slide.  However if you are placing it on a wood, tile or other slick floor then you will need to do one more thing.  Go to any discount, hardware or carpet store and purchase a piece of non-slip backer.  I'm not exactly sure what they call it but that's what it does.  Cut to the size you need (if your throw isn't too big take it with you).  Now you can just place it under the throw rug or you could if you were so inclined sew it to the back of your throw rug.  That all depends on how energetic you feel.  


There are several things that make me happy with the project.  The first is I made something I wanted instead of spending money.  Always a good thing.  Two I made it from left over yarn from other projects and saved money.  Third I can throw it in a washer when it needs to be cleaned and fourth it's customized to my needs.  It's the colors I wanted and the size I needed.

Don't be fooled into thinking you have to buy everything you want or need.  Have some confidence in yourself and your abilities.  Remember doing for yourself gives a great sense of accomplishment.

Have a Safe and Blessed day and remember, share your knowledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment