About Me

My photo
I am a Christian woman who loves her family and tries to live with a purpose. "I can do all things though Christ who strengthens me" Philippians 4:13

Translate

Sunday, August 24, 2014

BUILD A CO-OP AND LENDING CLOSET.

Since I haven't been out much over the past few months, I did go to the grocery store with hubby a few days ago.  I guess if you go on a regular basis the sticker shock might not be as bad.   We walked past the produce department and I thought how can families afford to eat healthy anymore.  Then we passed the meat department and I thought how can families afford protein.  Then I went to the dairy department and thought I need a dairy cow.

More and more I know homesteading is not only healthier but cheaper.  Yes the price of feed was going up but it seems to have leveled for now, maybe I shouldn't say that too loud.  The veggie garden we had this year did produce a fair amount for the short time it was producing and the tomato plants seem to be doing well.  This year they were planted in 5 gallon buckets, so they didn't drown like so many gardens did.  We also had raised beds for eggplant and cucumbers.  So all in all we were able to glean some fresh produce, although my onions and garlic didn't fare as well.  Thankfully we have very dear friends who planted things we didn't and they shared, which we are so grateful for.  There are also a number of farmers' markets in the area and we are able to purchase fresh produce from them.  Speaking of farmers markets, a 25 lb. box of canning tomatoes is just $10.00, cabbage was $1.00 for a large head and beets are $1.00 a bundle.  It maybe worth your while to find a farmers' market in your area. I believe you will fare better than the grocery stores as far as produce goes.

These days every penny counts.  With no end in sight, I fear prices will continue to escalate.  I understand many folks live in a city and feel they can't homestead, and maybe you can't like we do.  However there are things you can do to help cut costs.  Look for farmers' markets, even if they are a ways away go anyway. Look to start a co-op, you can share the cost of gas and still come out ahead. 

Have a group of like minded people over for coffee or ice tea.  Research where the markets are.  Set up a schedule to go to the markets.  Learn what's in season and plan meals around what can be purchased.  Also you may consider pooling other resources and possible funds to purchase canners and jars.  Find a location where you can store theses items and start a lending closet amongst your co-op community.  Just could be you'll find you already have a canning enthusiast among you or a sewer, crafter, computer expert, car mechanic or...

The days when communities worked together seems to have gone by the wayside.  This is so sad for all of us.  If we are going to get thru these times we will have to learn to work together again.  What am I saying, meet your neighbors, build your community.  Remember going back and doing things the old way might just get us thru the new times.

Have a safe and blessed day.

No comments:

Post a Comment